Another fusion of Asian flavors from Dani Venn.
The ingredient of Vietnamese chicken soup with green noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 large knob of ginger, peeled, finely diced or minced
- 3l water
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 6 star anise
- 4 dried red chillies, broken in half, if you can find or 1/2-1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 large whole free-range chicken
- 1/2 cup fish sauce, plus extra to taste
- 4 cups thickly shredded pak choy or bok choy
- 2 u2013 3 limes, juice only
The instruction how to make Vietnamese chicken soup with green noodles
- Place a large saucepan or stockpot over medium u2013 high heat, add oil, when oil is hot add onion and sautu00e9 for about 3 u2013 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and soft. Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook for 1 u2013 2 minutes.
- Add water, cinnamon, star anise and dried chillies to the saucepan. Bring to the boil. Once water is boiling, add the chicken. The amount of water should just cover the chicken, add a little more if need be. Let the water come to a gentle simmer then turn off the heat completely and allow the chicken to sit in the water for about 50-60 minutes. (This allows the chicken meat to be tender and moist) Skim surface of any impurities or excess oil that comes to the surface.
- When the flesh feels firm, remove the chicken from the water, reserving the stock. Allow the chicken to cool then remove the meat from the chicken and shred.
- At this stage you can either pick out the spices or strain the stock, I like to just pick out the spices and keep the chillies in the soup along with the diced onion, ginger and garlic.
- Bring stock to the boil, skim for any impurities that come to the surface, add diced greens (make sure you add diced stalks too) and then turn down or off the heat.
- Add chicken back into the stock, season with fish sauce. Taste and see if it needs more fish sauce. Squeeze fresh lime juice over soup when serving in big bowls.
Nutritions of Vietnamese chicken soup with green noodlescalories: 488.755 calories
calories: 18.3 grams fat
calories: 4.9 grams saturated fat
calories: 17 grams carbohydrates
calories: 3.2 grams sugar
calories: 61.8 grams protein
calories: 178 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 2063 milligrams sodium