Make the most of cold winter nights with this hearty chicken noodle and cabbage soup from Curtis Stone.
The ingredient of Hearty chicken noodle and cabbage soup
- 1 teaspoon Coles Olive Oil
- 4 baby carrots, cut into 3mm thick discs
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 3mm thick slices
- 1/2 leek (white part only), cut into 1/2cm pieces
- 200g Coles Small Spiral Pasta
- 1/2 wombok cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 brown onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 baby carrots, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.7 kg Coles Whole Fresh Chicken
The instruction how to make Hearty chicken noodle and cabbage soup
- For the stock: heat the oil in a large deep saucepan over medium heat and sweat the onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add the whole chicken to the pan and cover with about 4 litres of water at room temperature.
- Bring the liquid to a low simmer and cook gently for 25 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Skim and discard any fat that rises to the top of the liquid.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the stock to a baking tray and let cool slightly at room temperature. Strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve and discard the solids.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, pull apart into bite-size pieces and reserve, discarding the skin and bones.
- For the soup, return the same saucepan to a low-medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the carrots, celery and leek and sweat for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer, then pour in the pasta and cook for 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the saucepan and add the cabbage. Continue cooking until the pasta is al dente and the cabbage has wilted for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and serve.
Nutritions of Hearty chicken noodle and cabbage soupcalories: 716.761 calories
calories: 21.8 grams fat
calories: 5.6 grams saturated fat
calories: 45.6 grams carbohydrates
calories: 4.9 grams sugar
calories: 80 grams protein
calories: 223 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 253 milligrams sodium