Here is a gourmet idea for those times when you dont have a lot of time. These smoked trout pikelets can be served for afternoon tea or handed around as finger food at a cocktail party.
The ingredient of Herbed pikelets with smoked trout, horseradish cream and endive
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) self-raising flour
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk, extra
- 30g butter, melted
- Melted butter, to grease
- 1 baby endive, leaves separated, washed, dried
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, extra
- 1 (about 220g) whole smoked trout, head, skin and bones removed, flaked (see note)
- Fresh chives, extra, cut into 3cm lengths, to serve
The instruction how to make Herbed pikelets with smoked trout, horseradish cream and endive
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the milk and egg in a large jug. Add the milk mixture to the flour, whisking constantly until a smooth batter forms. Stir in half the basil and half the chives.transfer to a large jug. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, horseradish cream, lemon juice, extra milk, and remaining basil and chives in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Stir the butter into the batter. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Grease with melted butter. Drop eight 1-tablespoon quantities of batter into the pan from the tip of the spoon, allowing room for spreading. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and pikelets are golden underneath. Turn. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a large plate. cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat, in 4 more batches, with melted butter and remaining batter.
- Place the endive in a bowl. Combine the oil and extra lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour over the endive and toss to combine.
- Divide the endive and pikelets among serving plates. Top with the sour cream mixture, smoked trout and extra chives.
Nutritions of Herbed pikelets with smoked trout, horseradish cream and endivecalories: 252.145 calories
calories: 16 grams fat
calories: 7 grams saturated fat
calories: 18 grams carbohydrates
calories: 9 grams protein