Inspired by the cocktail of the same name, these gourmet tarts are sure to impress.
The ingredient of Margarita tarts
- 2 gold-strength gelatine leaves* (see notes)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (185ml) lime juice, plus 1/3 cup finely grated zest
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar, plus extra 2 tablespoons
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) tequila blanco (see notes)
- 200ml thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, sifted, plus extra to dust
- Mint leaves, to serve
- 1 3/4 cups (260g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 125g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg, separated
The instruction how to make Margarita tarts
- For the pastry, place flour and icing sugar in a food processor and whiz to remove any lumps. Add the butter and whiz until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the yolk and 1 tablespoon iced water, then whiz until the mixture just comes together. Shape into a smooth ball, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured work surface to 5mm thick, then use to line eight 10cm loose-bottomed tart pans. Prick the base with a fork and chill for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180u00b0C. Line the tart shells with baking paper, then fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove paper and weights and brush with the reserved lightly frothed egg white. Bake for a further 2 minutes or until golden and dry. Allow to cool completely.
- Soak gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, place eggs, lime juice and 1 cup (220g) caster sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (donu2019t let the bowl touch the water), whisking for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Add butter, a piece at a time, whisking to combine. Squeeze excess water from the gelatine, then add gelatine to lime mixture, whisking until dissolved. Remove from heat, then stir in tequila and 2 tablespoons lime zest.
- Pour the filling into the prepared tart shells, then chill for 4 hours or until set.
- Whip the cream and icing sugar together to soft peaks. Roughly pound remaining 2 tablespoons lime zest and 2 tablespoons caster sugar with 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes in a mortar and pestle until combined.
- Top tarts with a dollop of cream and garnish with mint. Dust with icing sugar and serve with salted lime sugar.
Nutritions of Margarita tartscalories: 579.575 calories
calories: 31 grams fat
calories: 19 grams saturated fat
calories: 57 grams carbohydrates
calories: 33 grams sugar
calories: 9 grams protein
calories: 217 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 63.83 milligrams sodium