Celebrate in style with these sticky figs in an indulgent red wine sauce, served with cheese and wafers.
The ingredient of Red wine sticky figs
- 1 375g pkt (about 30) whole dried figs (Lion of Sahara brand)
- 25g (5 teaspoons) butter
- 1 6cm cinnamon stick
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 750ml (3 cups) pinot noir
- 200g (1 cup firmly packed) brown sugar
- 185g blue vein cheese (like King Island Dairy Roaring Forties brand), at room temperature, to serve
- 2 150g pkts poppy seed wafer thin crispbread (Falwasser brand), to serve
The instruction how to make Red wine sticky figs
- Place the figs in a medium bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover and set aside for 8 hours or overnight to soften. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick, peppercorns and bay leaves, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the red wine, brown sugar and drained figs, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until liquid reduces to a thick syrup. Remove from heat and set aside for 1 hour to cool.
- Serve the figs at room temperature with the cheese and wafers.
Nutritions of Red wine sticky figscalories: 523.888 calories
calories: 12 grams fat
calories: 7 grams saturated fat
calories: 82 grams carbohydrates
calories: 49 grams sugar
calories: 9 grams protein
calories: 571.04 milligrams sodium