For the perfect start to your festive feast, or for cocktail party finger food, whip up a batch of these crispy silver beet and feta rolls.
The ingredient of Silverbeet and feta rolls
- Melted butter, to grease
- 1 bunch silverbeet (about 14 leaves)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 3 green shallots, trimmed, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g reduced-fat fresh ricotta
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 10 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
The instruction how to make Silverbeet and feta rolls
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Lightly brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to grease. Wash silverbeet and cut down both sides of stems. Discard stems. Roughly tear leaves and place into saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, shaking pan and turning silverbeet with tongs occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Set aside for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Use your hands to squeeze firmly to remove excess liquid. Finely chop.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the green shallots and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for a further 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Place the silverbeet, ricotta, feta, green shallot mixture and nutmeg in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pastry on a clean work surface. Cover with a clean dry tea towel and then a damp tea towel (this will help prevent the pastry drying out). Brush a sheet of pastry lightly with a little of the remaining oil. Fold the pastry in half crossways then cut in half crossways.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the silverbeet mixture evenly at a narrow end of each pastry strip. Fold the end of the pastry over the mixture then fold in the sides and roll up firmly, brushing the end with oil to seal. Place seam-side down on the greased trays and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling to make 20 rolls. (To freeze the rolls, see below.)
- Brush each roll with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with some of the caraway seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritions of Silverbeet and feta rollscalories: